Hello friends,
It has been a while, I know things have been confusing!! your moving? what? why? where? hahaha! yeah it was a surprise to everyone including us because we made a decision and carried it out and it was all rather quick, I would like to explain what we did and why.
We are living in a world where the latest fashion and biggest house has defined us! where we plunge deeper into debt as a country/state as well as personally. Where spending has replaced Saving and consumption has reigned supreme. Look all around you. People are loosing their houses, their jobs, the Earth is in a critical state of deterioration. And Personally, well personally I have to be honest with you. We spent the first years of our marriage Poor, very poor and working hard to get somewhere to have something. To us having more meant we were doing well, being able to spend that hard earned money was "well deserved" living. We went from making hardly anything to making more than we ever imagined and STILL feeling poor and living to the end of our pay check each week. With no savings but a bit of debt, and no home to put down roots. Do not laugh it is no laughing matter. For those of you who are fabulously smart with your money..go ahead and scoff... but for anyone in our shoes you know how disheartening it is.
The leaders of our church have been telling us to get out of debt for years, to get our food storage blah blah blah, we have all heard it before. But look all around us. How many people do you know who could use that during layoff time? and they have turned it up lately..."get out of debt is what they are saying!" and I think it is for a reason! It all started after we had to short sell our house. After that I was determined to find a nice place to live, and instead of downsizing like we should have then, I wanted that big house still and all that I "deserve" Well we moved into that big house and even bought some more furniture for it. With a bigger house comes more responsibility, more cleaning, more stuff to take care of etc. etc. I was even to the point where I was looking at getting a housekeeper to help out once a week. Our expenses for utilities through the roof. Well you get the point. I was beginning to feel overwhelmed. I started to think, how am I ever going to save for my OWN house before the market goes up? Then I took a trip to see my family and realized that a lot of my family members are in the same boat, job losses, retirement, all things that have hit and are not prepared for.
My Mother in law gave us a book called " The millionaire next door" After reading half of it in the car on a day trip, Corey and I were convinced that we have been fools! WE have been thinking time is on our side, that not being financially responsible was O.K. cause maybe one day our "ship would come in" Well news flash everyone, lots of those people in those big houses and nice cars are not millionaires! how can they be when they are spending all that they have? When they are falling into that consumption attitude!!?? How much {stuff} do we buy and never use but once every few years or not at all.
I was standing in the kitchen looking around, looking at my kids, thinking about my life and what is really important to me. Thinking about the future. In 10 short years, my kids will start graduating, getting married, going on missions,going to college...and I want to pay cash I want to be ready. And I have only a little while to teach them to be responsible. So I said, lets downsize! Lets move!!
We started looking around. We have so much "stuff" and I will be honest. It was hard to let my beautiful baby furniture go. but the price of interest on credit cards is far more depressing then letting go. We have already paid off 1/2 of a credit card and will pay of the rest this month! I am so excited.
So yes we moved to the next town over (Rocklin) and we have squeezed all 3 kids into a 2 bedroom apartment. It is tight, but our family is close and we have realized that where our family is...so is our home. We are teaching our kids the value of money and that ~Things~ do not define our worth. I know that it is against the grain and most people would disagree.... Even I like nice things...but I want to be more careful about how much and only buying things if we can afford it. Try to be better about being frugal and "SMART" and teaching my kids that they can have that Abercombie sweatshirt, I pod, and seven jeans..if they have saved first and found the best deal on each item!!!
my goal for this year is.....
* pay off 3 credit cards
* raise our credit score
* Save 10-20% down on a house
* get a home that we can afford
and do a 15 year fixed loan
* start saving for retirement
as well as future expenses
* Learn to live on less than
we earn.
So maybe we are doing this 12 years late. But better now then NEVER! I have felt prompted to do this, and I strongly feel the spirit of our decision. And I hope to inspire others as well.
20 comments:
I love you, Keri! I'm so impressed at all that you're doing. You're not taking baby steps to get there, you're actually DOING it now! That's so awesome, you're such a good role model to your kids and to others all around you! Thanks for helping us all realize that worldly possessions are not as important as the world makes them out to be! I want that book!
P.S. Don't be a stranger now that you're a whole town over!
KERI! Your post was so HAPPY and full of the smartest advice and actions! We are in the same boat. DH going to school and we have 6 kids! We downsized our life, sold everything to get here, and we are comfy in a 3 bedroom home with just what we need. We quit worrying about new everything and have enjoyed just having needs! I am so glad you did this! It has made us happy and it seems to be working on your happy too! Love you girl.
I applaud you.
YAHOOO!
The Millionaire Next Door was the first book we used to reign in our spending.
The Total Money Makeover is the one that set our debt-free plans in stone.
AWESOME! I'm always so excited when people break away from the pack and truly do what's right for them and their family!
You're awesome Keri! What a great example you are to so many including your own children! Love your positive attitude!
I, too, applaud you and what you are doing. Every once in a while, I really crave a bigger house, but I always remembered my parents saying that they didn't want to be 'house-rich, penny-poor'. So, that's what we live by. Our house is very cozy, AND so is our mortgage. It doesn't stress us out like a lot of people I know. We tell our boys about some upcoming things we'd like to do and how we are going to save up for it. It's SO important to teach our kids these lessons and what's really important. Kudos to you and your family!
I am AMAZED with you and your family! Most of all I am totally jealous! I have been dreaming for the last year that I could down size and have less. I look all around my house and think what a waste of money and space! I think your post was so good and totally right on! Thanks for making me feel like wanting less is ok. Our world is so messed up! Good luck with everything and I hope someday to be just like you!
Ever since you sent me that message and told me what you were doing, I have been thinking about how impressed I was by you (and Corey)! I am sure I even told several people how impressed I was that you were not only TALKING about it but actually DOING something about it. That takes huge guts and I totally appreciate it. You are a great example to all!! I know you will be successful and your family will grow closer and stronger because of the choices you and your sweet hubby are making.
And, as Laura said, don't be a stranger. I know I will at least see you when we get pictures taken again :)!!
Congratulations Keri! I so agree!! We've done many of the same things, unfortunatly our new attitude began from losing ALOT of investments, and basically having to start over. It's been great for us though. It's been YEARS since we've used a credit card, and we are within months of having our cars paid for. I'm so excited for the day we can be debt free!
~Michelle (Voss) Crockett
Kerri
Good luck with the savings plan. It sounds like you have a goal and the ideas and determination to reach it.
I'm trying to pay my home off in 12 years on a single wage I pay double the minimum loan repayment per month so my bills and my loan take 80% of my wage. Only 20% is left for clothing and spending, gifts and outings/holidays. It doesn't stop when I pay my house off I'll have to contribute more to super and help my teenage kids etc... (Like all families)
Keep plugging away, you'll be surprised how far in front you will be this time next year if you stick to your guns.
Feel the same as you do we are trying to get out of every thing to have a better life and peace of mind. 6 kids is so fun i love my kids. Due in jan.
Congrats! I hope you're loving the peace of mind. I love your new family picture!
Wow. You are so freaking awsome and so right. You are more stronger then i would be in making that descion. I look up to you for making a hard descion and seeing it through. You gave me fab insights and have caused me to look at our own situation. Thanks so much for sharing that with us. WOW. Awsome! To go to a houuse to a 2 room apartment must be crazy diffrent. But, i know you said you feel at peace with this descion and that makes all the so called "crazyness" ok. You guys ROCK!
Wow Keri! I too admire your decision...it takes so so so much guts and courage and strength to let go of "stuff" sometimes...I saw you getting rid of your baby stuff and thought to myself if I could do that...and I don't think I could. This is very inspiring and I hope to "let go" of material things more after reading this! Seriously, it takes soooo much to be able to do what you did, I am so jealous that you have done it and feel great about it, I wish I was there!! Thanks for this post :)
I certainly have a testimony of following the promptings of the spirit no matter how difficult it may be at the time. Thank you for sharing that with all of us who needed to hear it.
WOW guys! what a response!!!
Thank you so much for supporting us. This really was a hard decision and It has been even harder to break the cycle of wanting things. I guess I should just stay away from the mall!! haha. serious. I went today and there was so much cute stuff....but I did not buy anything. I know that we all need to get back to basics, and I am so glad about the good response because at first it was hard to tell people what we were doing.
But I am so excited for the future and I imaging a time when I can go look for a house and be confident that I have POWER to know that I have $ down and that I will be there and be able to make a firm commitment and investment for my family. I am also excited about being debt free and staying that way. What a different way of life and thinking for us. Wish us luck and strength. I will update on our progress regularly and if there are tidbits along the way that will help I will share!
Well said!! YOu are just so amazing and an inspiration to so many people! Way to go! We already miss you guys! Hope it's going well in Rocklin! :)
Better late than never! Good for you guys! That peace of mind is worth so much more than all the crap your visa can buy huh?
I think you guys are so awesome and agree with all the other comments. It takes a tremendous amount of courage and strength to make such big changes. Not very many people have that kind strength, if they did, our nation would not be in the position it is in. Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing your very personal story and life with us.
Yay for you!!! You need to read my bennyonabudget.blogspot.com. I have not updated it in MONTHS, but I have some great ideas that we have done to make it a game to get out of debt. THe big thing is that we promised our kids a huge vacation at the end and they are so on board!
I am so happy for you. It will be harde sometimes, but so worth it to control your money rather than your money controling you!
Keep it up, and now you know you are not alone in your journey!
Post a Comment